- Any introductory physics text book (Halliday & Resnick, Tipler, ...).
For those who wish to use a German text book, "Physik, Bachelor-Edtion" by Halliday & Resnick is available in the UZH library (see here)
|Dr. Alberto Zucchetta
(italien / english speaking)
|firstname.lastname@example.org||in charge of written exercises and online homework (OLAT)|
(italian / english speaking)
|email@example.com||in charge of homeworks & exercise sessions|
(english / german speaking)
|firstname.lastname@example.org||in charge of homeworks & exercise sessions|
(german / english / norwegian speaking)
Homework and Solutions
Homeworks and solutions, and other materials will be stored on OLAT: https://lms.uzh.ch/dmz/
|PHY116||Physics for minors (8 KP): Full semester|
|PHY118||Physics for chemists & earth system sciences (5 KP): For 9 weeks until November 17, 2017|
|PHY119||Physics minors who took PHY118: After November 17, 2017|
- Online conceptual homeworks (You will get one OLAT homework assigned per week on Wednesdays by email. To be completed individually. You will have 1 week to complete it (due the following Tuesday). These are relatively short assignments if you have reviewed your lecture notes. Please log in immediately to see if you can access the course. If not, check that your UZH email is registered properly. Further instructions will be sent via email.
- Written exercises. Grade on each question is pass/fail, where final grade is sum of all passed questions. These will be assigned on Wednesdays, and turned in to the Teachers Assistant (TA) in your exercise session the following week. Written exercises must be completed and given to TA.
Mid-term examination. There will be an exam on the first 5 weeks of classes. The exam will be during the week of Oct. 23 – 27, during your scheduled exercise session.
Final exam. January 17th, 2018.
Eligibility to take the final exam :
obtain >= 50% on the OLAT homeworks
hand in all written exercises
pass 50% of written exercises
attend most of the exercise sessions
- Grade : your grade will be 25% mid-term + 75% final exam.
Exercise sessions : TAs will keep an attendance list. Students can vote on which problems the TA will solve. Homeworks should be turned in at the beginning of the session. TAs will assign a grade of pass/fail for each question, where students need to have at least 50 % of the questions from all written exercises passed (that is, summing up the points from all written exercises for the full semester). Solutions will be posted online 1-2 weeks later. Note: You really have to go the exercise sessions. This is where real physicists teach you how to solve problems. In your exams, you will have to solve similar problems.
- No laptops, phones, facebook, etc. during class (unless requested by me for polling)