The project "Spin shuttles" investigates molecules with unpaired electron spins in view of their performance in
Spin shuttle is a term coined for endofullerene molecules that encage and protect an atom or molecule with an open electron shell. Such molecules are candidates for single molecule magnets and have a great potential as building blocks in molecular spintronics. A single molecule magnet is a single molecule that retains its magnetization direction for a long period of time, i.e. displays hysteresis.
The first single molecule magnet spin shuttle was Dy2ScN@C80.
Our experiments cover magnetic characterization of the electronic ground state with magnetometry and x-ray circular dichroism (XMCD). The structure of the molecules on surfaces is investigated by x-ray photoelectron diffraction (XPD), also with resonant excitation (RXPD) and tunneling microscopy (STM) and spectroscopy (STS).
- Prof. Thomas Greber
- Christian Hanisch
- Gadolinium as an accelerator for reaching thermal equilibrium and its influence on the ground state of Dy2GdN@C80 single-molecule magnets
Phys. Rev. B, 103, 014404 (2021)
→ DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.103.014404 [arXiv]
- Magnetic hysteresis and strong ferromagneticcoupling of sulfur-bridged Dy ions inclusterfullerene Dy2S@C82
Inorganic Chemistry Frontiers, 7, 3521 (2020)
→ DOI: 10.1039/d0qi00771d
- Sub-Kelvin hysteresis of the dilanthanide single-molecule magnet Tb2ScN@C80
Phys. Rev. B, 101, 134429 (2020)
→ DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.101.134429 [arXiv]
- Single-Molecule Magnets DyM2N@C80and Dy2MN@C80 (M=Sc Lu): The Impact of Diamagnetic Metals on Dy3+ Magnetic Anisotropy Dy ... Dy Coupling and Mixing of Molecular and Lattice Vibrations
Chem. Eur. J. 26, 2436 (2020)
→ DOI: 10.1002/chem.201904879
- Controlled Oxidation and Self-Passivation of Bimetallic Magnetic FeCr and FeMn Aerosol Nanoparticles
J. Phys. Chem. C 123, 16083 (2019)
→ DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.9b01678
- ...[→ more publications]