- Relativistic formulation
- Electromagnetic waves
- Wave optics
Lecture and exercises in English.
- W. Nolting: "Grundkurs Theoretische Physik 3: Elektrodynamik"
For selected topics:
- J.D. Jackson: "Classical Electrodynamics"
- (R. Kroeger and R. Unbehauen: "Elektrodynamik")
It is highly recommended to read the "mathematical preparations" in Chapter 1 of Nolting's book.
- Hand-written (informal) lecture notes are available on OLAT.
Module Requirements (Testatbedingungen)
In order to pass the module each of the following requirements must be met:
- 50% of the points of exercise sheets 1 to 13
- 33% of the points of exercise sheets 1 to 7 and 33% of the points of exercise sheet 8 to 13
- Pass the exam
Lecture Lecture calendar
The following materials will be available on OLAT: script, slides, Zoom link for streaming, Zoom recordings.
Exercises Tutorial calendar
- Friday 08:00 - 09:45
All problem sheets and related materials will be managed via OLAT.
Workflow of exercises
- First exercise class on Fri Feb 25
- Takes place in Y27-H-35/36 for everybody
- Group assignments
- Repetition of basic vector calculus (unmarked but important)
- Exercise sheets 1-13:
- Available online on Thursday of week n at 12:00 (starting on Feb 24)
- Hints on Friday of week n (starting Feb 25) in the exercise classes
- Solution to be handed in via OLAT on Wednesday of week n+1 (starting Mar 2) at 15:00
- Discussion of solutions on Friday of week n+1 (starting on Mar 4)
- Solutions can be handed in in groups of two students
Investing a significant amount of time for solving the exercises during the semester is crucial for the understanding of the lecture and plays a very important role as a preparation for the written exam!
Date and place: around the 2nd week of July (the date will be fixed soon)
Allowed collection of formulas: 3 handwritten double-sided A4 pages or 2 double-sided A4 pages in Latex. Only your personal Latex formulas are allowed, i.e. it is not allowed to include external PDF files of figures in a Latex document.
Allowed tools: standard pocket calculator without data storage and internet connection. No other electronic devices are allowed.
Date: Early September
Format of the exam: